Stanford has outscored Cal, 1,745-1694*
The first game was in 1892, a 14-10 Stanford win. The two teams played again that year, a game which resulted in a 10-10 tie.
Cal beat Stanford for the first time 1898, a 22-0 shutout.
Stanford's longest winning streak was seven games, from 1995 to 2001.
Cal's longest winning streak was five games, achieved twice, from 1919 to 1923 and from 2002 to 2006.
The tradition of awarding the Stanford Axe to the winning team began in 1933. Stanford won that game, 7-3.
Aided by tie games in 1950 and 1953, Cal held the Axe for eight years, from 1947 to 1954.
Stanford's largest margin of victory was 41-0 in 1930.
Cal's largest margin of victory was 38-0 in 1920.
Big Game Records
- Most yards rushing: 226 yards, Joe Igber, Cal, 2002
- Most yards passing: 401 yards, Dick Norman, Stanford, 1959
- Most yards receiving: 245 yards, Geoff McArthur, Cal, 2003
- Most receptions: 16, Geoff McArthur, Cal, 2003
- Most yards total offense: 414 yards, Aaron Rodgers, Cal, 2003
- Longest field goal: 52 yards, Jim Breech, Cal, 1976
* These numbers are corrections to the erroneous totals found in most "official" record books.